About Upper Hastings Ranch

Located in northeast Pasadena in California, Upper Hastings Ranch is bordered by the city of Sierra Madre to the east, the Eaton Canyon Golf Course to the west, and Sierra Madre Blvd to the south. Map

History

In 1882, Charles Cook Hastings purchased 1,100 acres (4.5 km2) of land between Pasadena and Sierra Madre for $7 per acre. He named his ranch "Mesa Alta Rancho" and began planting 300 acres (1.2 km2) with grape vines and constructed a mansion. Soon after he died, his son, Charles Houston Hastings, assumed responsibility for the land. He imported unusual specimens of plants and trees and populated the ranch with peacocks, pheasants, cats, dogs (32 collies) and champion horses. In 1928, the Hastings mansion caught fire and burned to the ground. The ranch fell into a state of disrepair and its operation was left to managers.

Following the death of Charles Houston Hastings in 1942, the ranch was sold by the Hastings Foundation to a syndicate for over $1 million. The land was subdivided into luxury housing tracts. In the late 1940s, about 600 homes were built in the lower Hastings tract; in the early 1950s, 800 houses were constructed by Coronet Homes, Inc.; and in the early 1960s, the upper portion of the ranch was developed

Today Hastings Ranch is defined locally as two independent neighborhoods: Upper Hastings and Lower Hastings.

2013 Board Members

Board Member
Title
Contact Information
Kathy Gregg
President and Honorary Mayor
Tiffany Gardner
Vice President / Block Captain Coordinator
Website / Newsletter
Jolean Matsumoto
Treasurer / President Emeritus
Pancake Breakfast Organizer
Sheri Whalen
Recording Secretary
Kjell Kling

Block Captain Coordinator /
Pancake Breakfast Chair

Ed Karim
Member
eakarim@aol.com / 351-5515
Mas Matsumoto
Member
351-8781
Sam Sassounian
Member
351-8534
Maryanne Gaston
Volunteer

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Board Volunteers

Mary Ann Gaston - Welcome Wagon Assistant
Stacy L. Cahan

UHRA General E-mail: UHRAPasadena@gmail.com